25.11.11

The one that got away.

The One that Got away


I've been driving for miles, listening to the slow jams we once played.
There was never a destination before so why have one now.
Jam after jam, lyric after lyric, nothing but love.
A feeling, an emotion, a distant memory.
Faint, but alive. Historic, but remembered.
Every time I shifted, you stole from my knob the only thing she could hold.
Your warm, soft gentle, hand, interlocked in mine.
And after my fourth lesson or so, I began shifting with my left hand.
The longer the trip went, the more songs we heard.
The further we traveled, the more comfortable you got.
You took off your shoes, covered yourself with your blanket,
And laid back on your pillow.

For the first time since being a child there wasn't a care in the world.
The phones were on silent, the jobs never worked at night,
And the cars on the road were minimal to the capacity.
No bills, no drama. No strings, no complications.
Just you, the music, and the road.
We could've drove until forever if no one mattered.
If families didn't care about us, if people never depended on us.
But only for a brief moment in time can we have what we want.
You had a train to catch,
I had a duty to attend to.
Because reality overcomes any fantasy we live.

Your beauty, your eyes, your smile.
Purified like an angel, perfected beauty and grace.
Girls have always come and gone, but no one was as right.
Like Cinderella's missing slipper, everything just fit.
Just the way I liked, Just the way you are.
There wasn't an imperfect part about you,
You mastered everything perfectly.

But now you're gone.
Because of another guy,
Because you moved away,
Because friends got in the way,
And life stood taller.
Because I didn't pursue you as I should've.
Things always find a way of falling into place,
Yet when the time came, I never spoke up.
Nor did I express everything I wanted to say.

It's you.
It's always been you.
You're the one that I want.
You're the only one that I want.
Whether you care to tango or not,
If you read this or don't. It's only you.

There is never a day that goes by you don't cross my mind.
There is only a memory which you were next to me.
A selfless pain to endure while you move on happily,
Because sacrifice is bigger than what we were.
I look at my phone waiting for your text, your call.
Hoping of such possibility even still existing.
Every night I think about picking you up, even if it is brief.
To cruise the star-lit, nightly skies.
I grow faint and weak every time I pass your neighborhood.
And every time I reach for the knob, I look to my passenger seat,
Wishing you would grab my hand, hold my arm, and kiss my cheek.
We could drive forever, you and I.
To wherever you desired,
To whatever you pleasured,
We should drive forever,
Whichever direction you choose,
However long it takes,
We would drive until the end of time.
The one that got away.

No comments:

Post a Comment