15.6.10

Happy Father's Day 2010

Papa Doc

I do not believe I have given you a card or a letter ever.. or may be it’s just been a long time. That is my fault! I am sure that when you saw mom’s card you were lightweight jealous .. you don’t have to lie! Just kidding!

I want to apologize for all the bad acts I have done or haven’t done to you and mom. I also want to apologize for all the wrongful deeds you believe to be immoral or disrespectful. I know I act irrational at times and spend lots of money on needless things. I try my best to do what you and mom like for me to do. But I also like to do things you and mom don’t think too fondly of. I know regardless of what it is, you and mom always support me, even though it might give you a heart attack or gray hairs. And I thank you for that. I also thank you for some times taking my side versus mom =] I know you are an openhearted person

I know we have had our rough times with each other due to our similar attitudes and hobbies. When I was younger, it used to bug me when people told me how lucky I was to have you as my dad. I didn’t understand how someone could say that about a person who would lock me in the garage, give me cold showers, and hit me when I was bad. I remember I wrote bad things about you in a paper in the third grade and was later called into the principal’s office. Even though it is funny to laugh about it now, I never realized the burden I put on you and mom. I terribly regret ever doing such a thing. I have now learned that everything you did was to discipline me and teach me the difference between right and wrong. And now, I see many kids my age and younger without the same discipline or control. I wish parents would discipline their children more like you and mom did.

You and Mom complement each other very well. While she has taught me many of my skills such as tidiness, kindness, unselfishness, understanding charm, you have taught me what it takes to make it in society. It’s funny because Mom’s characteristics are what girls like in guys, while your characteristics are the ones needed to make it through society. Although there were plenty of times where the teachings were non-verbal, all of the lessons still got through. You have formed a firm foundation in me, and have taught me the importance of family, respect, loyalty, honor, and humbleness. You have also taught me the importance of education, society and dedication. Might I add, hard work in relations with the sister Seals, “The only easy day was Yesterday.”

In all honesty, you are one remarkable man. You are the financial supportive father that many children dream about. Any dreams for us kids are made possible because of your dedicated hard work in and out of the office. On top of work, you are very interactive throughout the community helping out wherever it is needed. You sacrifice the little free time you have to create more opportunities for college students, high school teenagers, and elementary children. You have helped various groups like the Asian Peace Officer Association, NCCL, CCC and Asian Beauty pageants as a financial advisor, event planner, organizer, and body with helping hands.
When I was younger, I never really understood why you and mom did so much for the community. I also never understood why you would volunteer us kids to do the same. But now I believe with your foundation, I have found a lot of answers regarding life and the community. While in High School, I believed the work forced upon me was to torture me or better my resume for college applications. Not only was it to better the resume, but it also created character, knowledge, and skill for myself.
I have come such a long way since high school graduation when you told me, “If I knew what I knew now, but back then, imagine how smart I would be.” Since then, I have tried to walk similar footsteps as you to achieve success. Like you, I moved away from my favorite hobbies, good friends, and excellent-paying popular job to further my education and learning experiences. I try to read the newspaper daily and watch the stock market as often as I can while studying college material. Your success has driven me to become a better person than I ever saw myself becoming. It has also made me a student of life, always wanting to broaden my education.

Even though these events are recent futures, I often forget about your past. As many stories I have heard from being your son, you were always a hard-working man providing for your toys =] and self. You took care of your friends, your sisters, and your parents. Being self-independent from your parents, you weren’t always wealthy or educated, but later decided that would all change. People like myself, always think and know about your power job and successful wealth as a stockbroker for Morgan Stanley Dean Witter. But what we often forget is your struggles and complications with and without mom. What we most importantly forget, is that you are a United States Marine. Not a driver, foot soldier, or some other lame label corp. job. You are a Marine and Navy Helicopter Fighter Pilot ( I hope one day you’ll take the time to fly again). I find it amazing that you have had two astonishing careers in one life. Anybody could have retired from the service after twenty-two years to work a lazy 9-5 job with no dedication or desire. But you didn’t. Instead, you strived for a job you love.

You are one extraordinary man. You are a man of power, yet very humble and grateful. You know what you can have; yet you restrict yourself so your family and community can have a better lifestyle. You are a handsome, funny, smart, intellectual, and skilled man. I could not label you or your skill in one word or title other then, “The Man.” I believe the Armed Services have a word of your stature. I believe they title them, “ Men of Honor.” Your gracious, community service and donations will forever change the future generations. On part of their behalf, I would like to say thank you. You have always successfully served your family, your friends, your community, and your country. I can’t say enough how awesome you are and how much I look up to you. Whenever anyone says your name, I am proud to say that you are my father. Whenever someone mentions how much we look alike, I am flattered knowing you always say you look good, which you do. Haha

In all reality, I thank you. I will be lucky and grateful if I can be half the man you are. One day, I will pay you back for all your support. You are a sincere man who has out achieved any other person I know. Nobody has the reputation or wrap sheet that you have. Nobody else has the respect I have for you. I thank you for being my father. I would not have asked for anyone else. And even though it came a little late, I am truly lucky to have you as my father. Happy Father’s Day, and Happy Early 39th Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment